CALL FOR ABSTRACTS — APHA's 2019 Annual Meeting and Expo
APHA-Global Public Health Film Festival
Meeting theme: Creating the Healthiest Nation: For science. For action. For health
Submission Deadline: Sunday, June 30, 2019
APHA’s Global Public Health Film Festival showcases animations, documentaries, narratives, shorts, public service announcements, educational videos, and related videos that demonstrate, educate, inspire, and encourage a change for a healthier future. While films from all disciplines of public health will be considered, films related to science-based action and advocacy to improve population health are highly encouraged to compliment this year’s Annual Meeting theme. The Film Festival shows films from around the world that explore and highlight public health locally, nationally, and globally. Festival organizers welcome ALL film submissions, including independent, community-created, and youth-created films. All submissions are reviewed and scored before the official selection. All films are limited to no more than 30 minutes.If you have a film longer than 30 minutes that you would like to submit, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.
Notice: You do not have to be a member of APHA or attend the Annual Meeting to submit a film. If your film is accepted and you choose to attend, you must register for APHA 2019.
This year's festival will be held in Philadelphia, Nov. 2-6, 2019.
Eligible submissions should meet the following criteria:
- Address a public health issue
- Be produced within the last three years
- Be accessible to an English language audience (film is in English or has English subtitles)
Submitting a Film/Video
Films must be submitted with a synopsis or summary of the work. The film synopsis should include the following information:
- Description of the film
- Intended audience
- Supporting evidence or objective for the film’s message
- Mention of campaigns or programs that are linked to the film (if any to date)
Film submissions must meet the following guidelines:
- Submitter must be affiliated with the film.
- Films can be submitted in any viewable format, however if the film is accepted for the Festival, it must be converted into an MP4. The preferred sizes are 1920x1080 for high definition and 720x480 for standard definition. Submitter will be provided instructions for uploading their film to APHA's Speakers’ Corner.
- It is the policy of APHA to hold meetings, conferences and professional gatherings where physical and communication barriers do not exclude people with disabilities from attending and participating. APHA is committed to making the Annual Meeting accessible to the widest range of people possible. Therefore, accepted films are required to include "embedded" captions into the version that is uploaded for playback at the Film Festival.
- Length of film can be no more than 30 minutes.
- If you wish to submit accompanying materials or have difficulty uploading your video to our online platform, please contact one of the Film Festival Program Planners below.
- Films must reflect credible, science-based facts and recommendations and must not misrepresent or distort facts.
Topics may include:
- Chronic Disease/Condition
- Climate Change/Environmental Health
- Emergency Preparedness
- Global Health
- Health Equity
- Health Policy and Management
- Health Promotion/Community Health
- Healthcare/Medical Care
- Healthy Eating, Active Living
- Infectious Disease/Immunization
- Public Health Advocacy
- Social, Emotional and Mental Health
- Special Populations (Women, Men, Children & Adolescents, Homeless, Minority, LGBTQ, Immigrant, Disabled, Elderly)
- Substance Abuse and Addiction
- Violence and Injury Prevention
Program Planner Contact Information: