Conducts specialized health education classes using moderately difficult or varied curriculum designed for the improvement of health of Kaiser members and non-members. May serve as content and resource expert in the development of class curriculum.
• Teaches and models self-management skills, concepts, resources and tools related to health, lifestyle change and behavior modification to class participants.
• Assists participants in developing specific behavioral goals.
• Provides individual instruction and counseling as needed.
• Assesses needs of class participants and modifies class content to meet those needs.
• Applies evidence-based education techniques in teaching methods.
• Sustains a high level of expertise and assures cutting edge knowledge in specific topic area.
• May be called on to review, develop or recommend high quality, culturally appropriate, written and audio-visual health education materials to better meet class needs.
• Arranges and coordinates room set-up, availability of materials and audio/visual equipment.
• Maintains records of training activities including attendance rosters, homework assignments, class evaluations and time sheets or phone TIME system.
• Administers and collects class evaluation forms and class fees.
• Conducts follow-up phones calls to participants including those who missed sessions to determine reason for absence, monitor progress of participants and answer related questions.
• Completes required continuous training and education such as those related to workplace safety, legal and regulatory compliance, accreditation and licenser requirements and department specific requirements.
• Maintains and promotes knowledge and utilization of resources related to health, lifestyle change and behavior modification offered by Kaiser Permanente and through the community.
• Minimum four (4) years of experience teaching classes or conducting training programs.
• Bachelor's degree.
License, Certification, Registration
• Licensed or professional credentials or certification as appropriate for the course instruction.
• Must possess excellent communication and interpersonal skills.
• Ability to function independently and exercise professional judgment.
• Demonstrate skills in teaching techniques and presentation.
• Demonstrate ability to lead and facilitate diverse groups of people with understanding of group dynamics.
• Demonstrate knowledge of adult learning theory and group process.
• Current knowledge of health concepts, preventive health care and behavior change.
• Must be able to work in a Labor/Management Partnership environment.
• Master's degree in public health administration OR six (6) years of experience in a directly related field preferred.
• Mental Health License (LCSW, MFT, Licensed Psychologist)
• Mental Health Masters or Ph.D